Supporting vulnerable individuals through additional income assistance by the Government.
A new time-limited or temporary “Coronavirus Supplement” of $550 per fortnight for six months from 27 April 2020.
Individuals under the following income support payment categories are eligible for the Coronavirus Supplement:
- Jobseeker Payment (and all payments progressively transitioning to JobSeeker Payment; those currently receiving Partner Allowance, Widow Allowance, Sickness Allowance and Wife Pension)
- Youth Allowance Jobseeker
- Parenting Payment (Partnered and Single)
- Farm Household Allowance
- Special Benefit recipients
People will need to declare that they are not, accessing employer entitlements (such as annual leave and/or sick leave) or Income Protection Insurance, at the same time as receiving Jobseeker Payment and Youth Allowance Jobseeker under these arrangements.
For the period of the Coronavirus Supplement, there will be expanded access to the income support payments listed above, meaning more relaxed criteria to be eligible. Here are the three of the most common criteria:
- Jobseeker Payment and Youth Allowance Jobseeker criteria will provide payment access for permanent employees who are stood down or lose their employment; sole traders; the self-employed; casual workers; and contract workers who meet the income tests as a result of the economic downturn due to the Coronavirus. This could also include a person required to care for someone who is affected by the Coronavirus.
- Reduced means testing: Asset testing for JobSeeker Payment, Youth Allowance Jobseeker and Parenting Payment will be waived for the period of the Coronavirus supplement. Income testing will still apply to the person’s other payments, consistent with current arrangements.
- Reduced Waiting Times:
- The one week Ordinary Waiting Period has already been waived.
- Other waiting times are also reduced.